View Single Post
Old 01-19-05, 09:43 AM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another First! :(

This morning, for the first time ever (I think, and granted it's only been 2-1/2 years), I turned around and gave up. Our outside thermometer said -10 F when I first got up; the car indicated an outside temp of +4 by the time I drove in. I got about 1 mile out biking, my hands were freezing, and I had discovered my shifters were hardly working. By the time I got back home, my hands hurt, and I almost passed out from the exertion.

I have ridden in this temperature before, and not done too badly (~5 mi. each way, stopped once to warm up), but I had three factors all working against me this morning:
  1. Last year, I had nice bulky gloves that were big enough to wear a knit wool sub-layer on the really frigid days. Sadly, I lost those a few months ago. The new pair is not big enough for two layers, and this morning I proved that the one layer themselves are not enough in this temperature.
  2. I think the problem with my shifters is that I failed to clean the chain after last week's trips, and probably the slush and stuff froze things up, both temperature-wise and from grit. I've got to start taking better care of my chain!
  3. I'm just getting over a minor cold, so probably my energy and stamina are not yet back up to par.
So I drove the mini-van in, and to add insult to injury, I turned on the seat-warmer!

At least now I can say I know my limits, despite what some people might think to the contrary!