View Single Post
Old 03-16-09, 11:50 AM
radiocontrolhea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oneangrytoast
+1. im pretty sure this is all there is to it. the feeling that they are the cool kids and the style makers, but then they get pissy when theyre style catches on. however, i can relate to an extent. when you actually do something because you like it, and have to deal with other people who do its because its cool and the new, in thing, it can be really frustrating. especially to watch some rich kids roll around with all the bling you wish you could afford, but cant, because your mommy and daddy dont pay for stuff anymore. at least, if you are truly into it and on top of your game, you will still smoke that pansy with the hed3 on his color coordinated NJS sparkling bridgestone frame. **** him. hahhaa

for me, personally, i got a road bike in a swap, fell in love with it. it finally dawned on me that bikes arent JUST for people with DUI's or broke *****es without a car. then i found out about fixed and trick track via the streetwear, street art, urban culture.

foot down comps especially remind me of the days when i was kid watching the xgames when they would have the flatland freestyle bmx competitions. it was like these dudes were dancing with their bikes. it was amazing to see, but it kinda fell off the map (at least fell out of my realm of awareness). when i watch foot downs and people doing 720 big spins, etc etc etc it ignites a flame inside me that says, "get on your bike, ride it, you can learn this stuff if you just try hard and often enough."

i grew up playing ice hockey (in south florida, if you can believe that) when everyone else was outside in the heat riding skate boards and surfing and wakeboarding, i was chillin hard inside the frozen tundra of my local rink four days a week, sometimes more. i played travel, high school and in college too. having been buried in one sport, i completely missed out on "extreme" sports. i missed the sense of challenge, and subsequent accomplishment that comes from playing a sport, but i have found it in trick track and fixed riding in general. biking is for the most part a low cost hobby, and i dont need 10 other people to coordinate with. i just get on my bike and go, when i want to, where i want to. besides, id rather be in private when im busting my ass repeatedly trying to learn new tricks! lmao

people ask me all the time, "if you want to do tricks, why not bmx?" ill tell you why. im 6' and kinda sorta fat. have you seen how low those seats are on bmx bikes? you basically have to stand the entire time you ride. its completely impractical and uncomfortable. if you want to actually use your bike to get around, bmx makes no sense. track bikes just fit what i wanted in a machine - both tricking, and the ability to go on long, hard rides.

to be 100% honest, as of right now i have absolutely no interest in taking my bike to the track. maybe that will change one day, maybe not. but of course there will be those people who might say that at i ride a track bike because i want to be "in the club", or think im somehow "fake" because my track bike might never see a track, they can suck it. no posing here. just a big dude lookin to lose weight, get some exercise and have some fun.

I do feel this way about vinyl records. I think it's awesome that every store now stocks them because it will be around for a bit longer, but it is now used as a fashion statement and that is just annoying. I truely enjoy listenign to my vinyls. I'm 22 and have been using them since I was 16. I think that vinyl format is truely beautiful. It was a fun challenge to find the music you wanted to add to your collection. Now... where's the fun if it's available everywehre?