View Single Post
Old 03-16-09, 02:26 PM
trek830

Bikes: Trek 830 18" frame => Mavic X517 ceramic rims | XT RD | XTR FD | LX Canti's | SRAM Atacck shifters | SRAM SG850 11-30 Casette | Vetta Transverse AT saddle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need suggestions; Dad wanting a bike

Well dad is what I guess would be called a Clydesdale (5'8" 249 pounds) he's been walking for fitness for the last year and is getting bored of it. He's talked about getting a bike for a while, I have done well in steering him away from the mega-mart junk. He just wants something comfortable (IE: multi speed cruiser) to ride around the paved path by his house.

We went out today to the LBS, and the shop in the next town, I can not say I'm very impressed by what I've seen and can't whole heartily recommend anything to him. I'm hoping someone can give me some further suggestions.
- First bike at the LBS was a Giant 2008 7 speed cruiser Aluminum frame ($350). Dad asked me to try it as it was a very busy plaza and he hasn't rode in at least 20 years. I personally couldn't find a comfortable gear to pedal in, the OEM tires I almost whipped out turning around, I ran over a couple leaves Ultimately I couldn't recommended it, it's been sitting outside so it had rust on the stem, and the cassette looks like it's been ridden quit a bit.

- Second Bike, second shop: Electra forward pedaling?(I've never herd of this before) aluminum frame. For a 7 speed cruiser, at $500 I feel that's just way to much money. As for the ride: This bike, the gearing was much better, each gear I went in was comfortable. The brakes I got into a disagreement with the seller. They more then squealed they sounded like a fog horn, I asked if the toe was correct and if they could possibly change the pads out. They said the most they would do is File the pads down and that should help. Sorry for that kind of change I would expect a bit more friendliness, and help.

It's been a long time since I've shopped for any kind of bike, but I don't remember comfort bikes costing this much and getting so little in return. Everything on each of these bikes was pretty unimpressive, does anyone have any recommendations for brands? The one bike shop said they can order a Sun Cruiser or another Electra if we if find something more suited for dad.