View Single Post
Old 03-16-09, 07:41 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
These are indeed as described an early version of Super Record, hence pre-1976. You can tell this by the pointed lever blade.

As the levers being offered were undoubtedly quite scratched up the seller has polished them up on a buffing wheel removing the anodizing. This is quite common, as scraped ones are often the only ones that come available and are still better than nothing. A properly anodized set of these levers will go for considerably more than shiney ones like those being offered.

As for the holes being forged and bent, this is how absolutely ALL super record levers were made. If you believe anything else, you have been suckered into believing a lie perpetrated by a sicko from Boston. You can see another set of first generation super record levers here: http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...lever.JPG.html these ones have not been buffed shiny.
Thank-you kindly. Exactly the type of response I hoped to get.

It is obvious the seller polished them, but the fact that he is vague about it is what troubled me and set off some of the alarm bells. He makes is seem as if the finish is original, when clearly, as you stated, it is not.

Thanks for the clarification on the holes... I knew I heard somewhere they the earliest versions were drilled and I swear I have looked at a bike where the owner said he "drilled" the original super record holes to make it look like the "earlier ones" which were drilled... I am glad to have cleared that up.

So based on the information it would date these levers 1973-1976, even though the lever bodies might be different we can be sure about the blades.