View Single Post
Old 03-21-09, 09:22 AM
martikal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one year that i could stomach living in the dorms at OSU I lived in a two person dorm room in Stradley Hall (one of the south halls). We could hardly fit the beds and the desks that were provided for us let alone a bike. Not much space to store it on the wall either. I am not familiar with other 'suite' style rooms but I have huge doubts that they have enough space.
The rules being enforced is almost 100% up to your residence hall director and your RA, and of course your roommate who has to be ok with fitting a bike in the already cramped room. As in real life in dorms too some people are super obsessed with following the rules even if they don't make any sense or breaking it doesn't hurt anyone. So your situation totally depends on where you live.
People are right about stealing on campus. It happens a lot and all the time and everywhere. When it comes to bikes, get a U-lock and a chain lock and lock the **** out of your bike everytime. If you have a nice expensive saddle, it will show itself. Take it off with you (you'll look 'kuul' in the classroom too even though it is a bit of a hassle). If you are worried about quick release tires, damn... take it with you to your room every night.
But if you don't have expensive parts, or if your bike is not brand new, shiny and with no scratches, your individual parts will not be in much danger, because there is not that many people who know about good, expensive bike parts on campus... to be tempted to go through the trouble to steal it. When you leave your bike outside, lock it as a deterrent. Don't leave your bike in one place all the time. Ride it as much as you can and constantly change place. Don't make your bike flashy, make it blend in.

I don't think there is any need to be paranoid or worried as long as you take into account that you need to protect your bike.