View Single Post
Old 03-22-09, 11:05 AM
Skipper

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Breaking-in a Brooks saddle takes the exact same amount of time/mileage as it takes to tweak it into the correct (for you) position. There should be very little physical change in the saddle itself. There will be the sitbone dimples after a while but the saddle should remain as hard as it was the day it first came from the factory. If you mount a Brooks saddle, make a couple of coarse adjustments and then wait for it to conform to your rump, it'll never Break-In.

Some of us report that our Brooks saddles were comfortable right out of the box. My second and third Brooks saddles were comfortable right out of the box. My first took a little longer because I had to figure out how to tweak it. I ride all of my Brooks saddles slightly nose high, which seems counter intuitive, but it works for me. All of my Brooks saddles are still forming dimples, are hard as a leather covered brick and are slightly slippery but, they were broke-in some time ago.

If you can't adjust your Brooks saddle to a truly comfortable position, you just may not have a Brooks Butt. Lotions and potions, for the saddle at least, are not going to do it. I think it is only reasonable to expect that not everyone has a Brooks Butt. Unfortunately, it can be somewhat expensive determining what kind of butt you have.

Just my three cents.