View Single Post
Old 03-23-09, 07:12 AM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Why wouldn't you use S&S couplers?
http://www.sandsmachine.com/
unterhausen nailed it; S&S won't sell to non-insured framebuilders, even for personal use. Really though, I don't feel any compelling need to use them. I'll have about $50 in my frame when I'm done, and I believe it'll be more than adequately strong.

I think the seatpost double clamp solution is simpler and more elegant than the S&S coupler. I never liked the look of Ritchey's little v-band clamp on the downtube, and thought that a sliding clamp sleeve would be stronger and more maintenance friendly. The tube cut is angled and I'll cap the ends of the tube, giving it some more resistance to torsion.

I can't take credit for that idea either though; someone on the framebuilder's list sent me to pictures of Rene Herse's frames using the sliding sleeve for a coupling.

Last edited by KendallF; 03-23-09 at 07:17 AM.