BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trespasser
no, enduro is right on this case, he/she didn't mention actual QR skewer pushing the axle, but the faces of dropouts pushing Locknuts from both side, causing axle compression. this does not happen on bolt on solild axles because of what enduro explained.
Originally Posted by gotambushed
a QR axle does not directly push on the axle, rather on the dropout and inturn the cones and locknuts. since theyre threaded to the axle, they will compress the axle from the outside points on the axle where the lock nuts are towards the center.

on a solid axle, the axle nuts squeeze the dropout against the locknuts,
if you sum the forces on the axle, what you end up with is the axle nuts pulling the axle in elongation from the lockout nut towards the end of the axle, while the equal and opposite pressure of the locknut pushes towards the center of the axle,
so, in theoretical physics, the axle would have no compression and no elongation due to them cancleing out, in practice however, i think your looking at that .005 compression and an almost equal elongation from the locknut out towards the ends.
i don't have the equipment to test this, so this is mostly theory and hypothesis from physics and statics of materials, not so much from hard evidence.
i should take a hub to the lab and measure the stretch/elongations or lack there of.
.... just a thought
OK, that makes sense.