Old 03-23-09, 08:07 AM
ride4jc

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Giant FCR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rear wheel locking nut

Hi all - dumb question - my commuter/beater is a Giant Cypress - the guard on the cassette broke free of the top gear. I decided to remove it (the plastic guard) - Sunday afternoon bike mechanic (me) began the disassembly. Took the skewer out, removed the nut on the cassette side, the discovered that my cassette lockring tool didn't seem to fit. Decided I'd just try to cut the guard off without removing the cassette.

2 questions actually - I wonder why in the world the cassette lockring tool didn't fit? it's for a Shimano cassette and that's what I have - http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=9999[/URL]

Other question - when I put the spacer then the nut back on and tightened it down, the wheel didn't want to turn. Backed off on the tightness of the nut and all is well, but it doesn't seem 'right'. Looked at my Bike Repair Manual and it said that there is an additional 'locking ring' nut - mine didn't have one - or did it? Did I lose it on the shop floor (I know you don't know the answer to the last question)

So, please offer any insights you can.

thank you!