View Single Post
Old 03-23-09, 09:13 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
I'm guessing that 2 years of exclusively riding folders, combined with many years of 700c bikes with various geometries, is a pretty good "data set."

Every road bike I've ridden and tested has more stable handling than every 20" bike I've ridden. Now, it might be possible that there's some hyper-responsive 700c track bike that turns faster than a 20" bike with an absurdly long wheelbase, but, well... I have my doubts.
Depends on when the bicycles were made ... and I guess where too. That is, if you rode a 100 different bikes but their geometries are highly correlated then your effective sample size is much smaller than 100. Mind you, how much weight you put on the front wheel which is partially determined by your bike posture will also determine how much "wheel flop" you experience.

I think "far, far more twitchy" is an overstatement. But I have met others who feel similarly. Much of this is subjective anyway ... so there are only poor substitutes for actually test riding a bunch of different bikes.

Last edited by invisiblehand; 03-23-09 at 10:19 AM.