cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DC to Williamsburg - How to?

A friend of a friend is biking from Arlington to Williamsburg in April. I can get him to Fredricksburg on nice back roads, but past that my direct knowledge runs out. He doesn't seem to mind some hills or a bit of traffic, is not in a great hurry and would like a fairly scenic route.

My first thought was to direct him to Richmond and the Virgina Capital Trail, but since that is not complete I guess he'd be riding the shoulder of route 5 most of the way. And I'm not sure how to bike to Richmond.
I used to drive route 17 a lot, and wouldn't want to recommend that to anyone for biking. Plus there is the problem of getting over the York River (unless they've opened the bridge to bikes in the last couple of years.)

My current thought is route 2 to Bowling Green, or something parallel like Thornton Rolling, Macedonia, Rozell, Woodford, River and Paige.
Then Sparta, Newtown, The Trail (route 14) and route 33 to West Point. Or if route 30 around King William isn't bad, maybe Canterbury, Walkerton and 30 to West Point.
Then Farmers Dr, Holly Fork and Ware Creek (mostly staying off of routes 30 and 60). At Croaker go south to I-64 and take either Rochambeau or Fenton Mill the rest of the way.

I haven't been to Bowling Green in 10 years, and West Point in nearly 20. I have no real idea if my route between F'burg and West Point will work for biking. I'm most concerned about how riding on route 2 and route 14 is. Or would the back roads work better.
If anyone has any advice, or direct knowledge of these roads, or has an alternate route they've tried, please post. Any help would be appreciated.