Old 03-24-09, 07:00 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out used but unlike everyone else I am going to recommend something a little newer. A lot of road bikes from the 80's ran 27 x 1_1/4 tires which are still plentiful to buy a bike shop but there is hardly any selection. Variety is the spice of life and whatnot. Rims on the other hand are going to be a bit harder to get ahold of. Also, the rims tend to be steel which is very slippery when wet. Don't ride that bike in the rain as you won't be stopping in a hurry. The other issue is frame spacing. Say you find yourself a nice 80's Panasonic or Bridgestone, you ride the tar out of it and fall in love with her. Components have worn out and it's time to replace...only there are no replacement parts anymore. The amount of money you will spend in upgrading a frame of that age to modern components will cost you an arm and at least 1/3rd of a leg. Modern 700c wheels might fit depending on the reach of your brake calipers, a modern cassette won't fit unless you have the frame spread, modern brifters could work but man alive they are expensive, modern crank set is unlikely to fit, same with crank arms, and I'm not sure what all could be done should you wear out the bottom bracket.

Therefore, I would recommend something a little newer in the used category. If you can save up the cash for a newer entry level road bike then go for it. If you know your size or can locate a fit calculator you can go with something new from Bikes Direct so long as you are comfortable knowing you are on your own for repairs and other issues that crop up. Well not on your own, your bike shop would be happy to take your money for repairs.

You can also get a part time job to save up some moolah if time, family, and lifestyle allows.