EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
You'll have a blast.
It's a very well-run event from top to bottom. The State of Georgia is totally behind it, and the race organization has everything covered. Medalist Sports is the best.

If it's your first year, you'll likely be assigned as a course marshall which means you'll hit the road every morning in a 12 passenger van. Leap-frog the race to cover about 5 or 6 different intersections before heading to the finish line. You'll get to mingle with the fans, watch the race go by a million times, mingle with the riders, and see a lot of Georgia. (Hope you don't get car sick.)

You might also get assigned to Staging and Signage which means you'll be setting up and tearing down the Start/Finish Venues. This is a TON of work, but it's fun work. You basically begin at 4am and set up a new sports stadium in a small southern town that would otherwise never see a major pro sporting event.

If you have security experience, they may put you on the Security team. You can imagine that a rolling event needs its own security force. Especially if LA comes back to GA.

Routing Team: You go out every morning and mark the race route using a staple gun and two million cardboard signs. Fun and important, but a tad monotonous. And I'm not sure how much of the race you get to see.

The rest of the positions require some sort of experience.

But I must say . . . travelling around GA with an Army of like-minded people is an amazing way to spend a week of vacation.

Last edited by EventServices; 01-22-05 at 12:46 PM.