Old 03-26-09, 02:01 PM
wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I will stick with that I will post more video as I ride,

A shareable lane with a bicycle and a truck is defined as a having a width of more than 13 feet. In this video there is a narrow lane ( less than 13 feet) present.
This is what you can expect from motorists because there are no laws which require a person to move over to the other lane to overtake a cyclist. They only need to provide three feet of clearance.
It is ambiguous for me to try to define what is three feet as all they pass me. Clearly some don't and some are questionable. Some motorists simply move over to the other lane and allow the maximum clearance. What constitutes as a "safe three feet overtaking" is left up to someone who won't get hurt.
By law the two lane positions are correct, The first position to the right resulted in at least one close pass with a cargo van.
The second lane position to the left, yields better results in my opinion. The person who is subject to death and injury.
This is a good example of why a cyclist may choose to use the law and move to the left to communicate to the motorists that this is a narrow lane and a motorist will need to use a portion of the left lane to overtake the cyclist as the video shows, and provide better visibility for the motorists.
The camera angle is offset by 11 inches to the right from the starting point of the left handle bars

Originally Posted by noisebeam
I ride thru there sometimes. Gotta love the river crossing.
Yea nothing like riding on a river bed, and much better than Alma School. I get to do this twice a week it just opened back up.