View Single Post
Old 03-29-09, 10:01 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kamtsa
Quick update, got the new NWT this week and took them yesterday and today to test drives (total of 20 flat and hilly miles). So far so good. The shifting is flawless (both derailleur and internal hub), being able to shift down at stop is very useful and I made usage and need the entire gear range. Also, it is simpler and cleaner then my old NWT (with front derailleur), the folding is easier, and it is nice to have the chainring guard (did not have it with the front derailleur).

Notes:
1. Weight - the NWT are not light anyway so I did not feel any significant difference.
2. Noise - all three IH gears make a continious click-click sound. The third gear is louder than the first two. It sounds like a clock and it does not bother me.
3. Ergonimic - I like the twist shifter. The Thumb shifter of the IH is also not bad. Few times I shifted unintentionally from 2 to 1 so this is something I should work on. Also, the marking of the IH shifter is counter intuitive. When you think that you are at second gear, you acutally at first, but I got used to it.
4. The dualdrive hub does not have quick release (can I install after market QR?). This is its main drawback IMO. I plan to take with me a patch kit and fix the rear inner tube without removing the wheel. Never tried it. I hope it is feasible.
5 Chain line - when the deraulure is at higher gear (9th), the deviation of the chain line from the chainring line is very high and every new link makes a slight click before it settles down. Also, without the chainring guard, shifting form 8th oto 9th tend to drop the chain, but not a problem though when the chainring guard is on. I noticed the chainline problem when the bike was hanging on a repair stand. When actually riding it, it seems to be ok though I am trying to avoid using the 9th gear for long time periods (I switch the IH gear instead).
6. The chain fall off each time I unfold the bike. I am aware that there is a folding procedure that avoid it but I don't bother since puting the chain back is easier than with the front derailur. I wonder if I can add an inner chainring to avoid the chain drop when folding.

Overall the DD was a good choice for me and I am glad that I found bike that work for me without having to resort to a Rolhof hub.

Thanks everybody for helping me making a good decision.

Kam
Bike Friday sells a chain keeper for folding.

http://store.bikefriday.com/popup_im...29f1a6e53731a6

I'm surprised that the salesperson failed to mention it.

You should also look at the videos on this page for tutorials on folding the bike.

Originally Posted by kamtsa
Jur:

1. How feasible is it to fix a flat tube on the road (as opposed to replacing it) without taking out the wheel? This way I don't need to cary a 15mm wrench (or do I need two?).

2. I searched for chainrings guards. What does "110 mm BCD 52-tooth 5-bolt chainring" mean, that the guard is intended to protect 52-tooth chainrings or that the size of the guard is identical to a 52 tooth chainring? What guard size do I need for a 46 tooth chainring? (BTW, my crank is Shimano Sora 50-34t 9-Spd 170mm 2-piece if it matters).

3. Do I need to have spacers between the chainring and the inner guard? The outer guard is spaced out by the spider but I am not sure how the inner guard should be spaced.

Thanks,

Kam
For certain types of punctures, fixing flats without removing the wheel is straightforward.

Last edited by invisiblehand; 03-30-09 at 10:16 AM.