View Single Post
Old 03-29-09, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Uhh, very easy riding but the chain broke? My computer is still working on that one.
If you're concerned about the derailer, put it on your rack and watch it from the rear, make sure the alignment with each cog is correct and that the cage is not leaning to one side. Shift to the small cogs, grab the derailer and see if there is play in the mounting bushing or the cage bushing. Personally, I doubt an Alivio rear derailer needs replacement this soon. Actually, it sound to me like your derailer barrel adjustment is just a quarter turn too tight, but you know how to adjust it so I'm sure you tried turning the barrel. Also check your low gear limit screw. If it's set too tight, then you may have to have the barrel adjusted tighter just too reach the low gear. Again, this should show up when you check the cage alignment with the low gear.
I know it's a long shot, but when the broken chain was replaced, did they install an 8-speed chain? The only other thought that comes to mind is lube the cable at all entrances to housing with chain lube. I know it's a long shot, but maybe your cable is binding at the high stress point which is the low gear.
When I broke the chain, I was rolling up to my apartment...there is maybe a 10 degree incline for about 5 feet and then the small curb. I was in either first or second gear and was going to pop the front wheel over the curb, when I pushed on the pedals, the chain snapped. Now I'm sure there was a lot of torque on the chain at the time as I was almost stopped, but I've never broken a chain in my life and just assumed that the chain that came with the bike was junk.

On the last ride I did, I hosed the chain and RD down with White Lightning Chain Lube and didn't have any problems, BUT I only used second gear very gingerly and mostly stayed away from it. I'll get out there today and give it a thorough looking over and run it through the gears.

Thanks for the info, I'll check that stuff out.

Originally Posted by CCrew
Other thought that comes to mind is that someone threw a new chain on it right out of the box without fitting it.
Yes it's an 8 speed chain and I did completely clean the grease off of it, lube the crap out of it and fit it, thanks.

Thanks,
Ralph