webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's from another 50 year old.
Last September the Doc told me I had diabetes. I was instructed to lose weight, exercise, diet (watch carbs) and build muscle mass. Also needed to reduce cholesterol. Thank goodness blood pressure is low.

When he said that, I went to my business landlord which happens to be my LBS and in the same building where I work and bought a Giant Sedona DX. Also added a weight machine to my arsenal and cleared the yard-sale junk off the treadmill and plugged it in.

Dr also told me to quit "wasting" calories on beer and maybe have a red wine or two instead. I quit drinking entirely that day. There is a well known Colorado brewery whose stock must have suffered as a result of that decision

In short, I have undergone a rather complete change of lifestyle. Weight is down 56 lbs. Cholesterol is down 100 points. Blood sugar is entirely within normal range. Waste size has gone from 46 to a loose 38. And I am addicted to my bike.

The first ride was about 3 miles in September. It killed me to cover that distance in about 40 minutes. In contrast, last night's ride was 13 miles in 57 minutes and I felt great.

As I told the Doc, "I'll be healthier with diabetes than I was without." I really think that is true.

Carl