Old 03-30-09, 10:36 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrteeth
Is there a general web forum for human powered commuting?

Not that I don't like you guys, but I'd like to be able to discuss the relative merits, differences, and similarities of all forms of human powered commuting such as:
-running
-walking
-skating
-cycling
-roller skiing
-etc

I have questions such as:
-Is cycling always gentler on the body than running (over all distances, terrain types, and speeds) or does my bike just fit me better than my shoes?
-Do I really need different shoe types for optimal walking, running, and cycling comfort or can I have my cake and eat it too (I use platform pedals for cycle commuting)?
-Is skating gentler on the body than running or just less effort?
-The cycling/running exchange rate is said to be 4:1 and the skating/running 2:1. Does gearing modify these ratios (ie is a single speed or fixie closer in efficiency to skating or running)? How about recumbents? Folding bikes with small wheels? Dutch or work bikes?
-Can training make me faster running than skating or faster skating than cycling?
I know of no net discussion forum that covers all that you ask about. However, as far as which one
is "gentler" on the body I can only share what my orthopedic surgeon told me after I had both knees
totally replaced......."NO running, normal (not fast) walking ok, and bicycling is the very best and most
gentle form of execise for normal humans. If more people cycled I'd have less business."

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?