View Single Post
Old 03-30-09, 11:27 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A degree is way overrated.
Entirely depends on which discipline and what line of work you'd like to enter.

College isn't for everyone. I know to many ppl with degrees working at jobs they hate cause they hate what they got their degrees in.
This is true. If you hated your majour, you're likely to hate your job. If that's the case, then why did these people stick with it? You're allowed to change majours if you don't like what you started out with.

Its stupid to think that just cause you went to college that your educated, and you will get all these great jobs and your life will rule, its just not true.
Freshman Comp might give people the leg-up on the competition, allowing them a grasp of the written language such that they can write a resume which will get them an interview, rather than laughed at.

Anyone can make a living doing things that don't need degrees,and that they love, just don't be scared to work your ass off to earn it, because there's always gonna be some ****face with a degree who thinks hes better than you because he got a D in calculus, HA.
Which would you rather do:
A) Make a living (I interpret this as "just getting by") busting your butt 7 days a week, potentially turning the "something you love" into "another effing job", or
B) Find a degree applicable to something you love and do much better than just making a living?

I spent 2 years as a courier in the early 90s and no matter how much I love riding my bike, I'd never consider trying to eek out a living by doing it now. Electronic signature, wire transfer and file attachments have killed much of the work which used to be available. Who needs a paper cheque when a bank can wire money direct to your account? Same with so many of the document transfers which were common back in the day. Even photography and architectural plans are more frequently being transferred electronically.
Yeah, you can make a living riding a bike these days... but for the effort you put in, is it really worth it?