View Single Post
Old 03-30-09, 11:44 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrteeth
Is there a general web forum for human powered commuting?

Not that I don't like you guys, but I'd like to be able to discuss the relative merits, differences, and similarities of all forms of human powered commuting such as:
-running
-walking
-skating
-cycling
-roller skiing
-etc

I have questions such as:
-Is cycling always gentler on the body than running (over all distances, terrain types, and speeds) or does my bike just fit me better than my shoes?
-Do I really need different shoe types for optimal walking, running, and cycling comfort or can I have my cake and eat it too (I use platform pedals for cycle commuting)?
-Is skating gentler on the body than running or just less effort?
-The cycling/running exchange rate is said to be 4:1 and the skating/running 2:1. Does gearing modify these ratios (ie is a single speed or fixie closer in efficiency to skating or running)? How about recumbents? Folding bikes with small wheels? Dutch or work bikes?
-Can training make me faster running than skating or faster skating than cycling?
- don't know about a general web forum

- I wouldn't say cycling is always gentler. It can wreak havoc on your knees if your saddle isn't high enough or if you mash instead of spin

- I often ride in running shoes

- Not an expert skater by any means but I would say that it's gentler than either cycling or running

- I'm deeply suspect of any ratios because there are far too many variables. Riding a fixed gear would be closer to running since you can't coast

- I think really fast skaters can keep up with fast cyclists for short distances. I don't think a fast runner could move faster than a fast skater except for a very short distance.

One comment and I made it in an earlier post: Gentler doesn't necessarily mean better. High impact exercise has benefits that low impact exercise doesn't. A variety of exercise is better than any one type.

I have both run and biked to work. The obvious problem for running with me is that it takes longer and it's more difficult to carry stuff. The advantage is that I can still run safely when there's several inches of new snow on the ground.

Running requires only a small investment in shoes and you don't have to worry about storing a bike somewhere while you're at work.

I've never really considered skating to work but it's an interesting idea. One problem would be road conditions. I've found skating to be pretty unpleasant if the surface isn't relatively smooth.