Thread: Good reading?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-05, 01:43 PM
jimv

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Rodriguez (custom SS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hellcrown
Has anyone read "Metallurgy for the Cyclist"? Is metal composition the most important issue for determining the worthiness of a road frame? If not, what is? The paintjob? Riiiighht.
If you're starting with a 'clean slate' and planning for a custom frame then I'd say sure, you have the choice so material can be the main deciding factor, though I would be more concerned with fit (of course with a custom frame the fit comes for free).

In general, I think there's a lot leeway with regards to modern materials. Super exotic materials are certainly going to have a max rider weight limit, and I think if you're building/buying a commuter to be used on really crappy streets then I would take the fatigue limit of the material into considreration .... though others may argue this as unnecessary.

I have 2 bikes. My good bike is made from True-Temper OX Platinum which is a really strong, light and stiff steel. I'm about 250lbs and it feels perfect. I also have a Steamroller which is built with plain 4130 CrMo. I can feel a significant difference in the ride of the 2 bikes but I like them both. For longer rides the OX Platinum is less fatiguing and generally feels better but the Steamroller is a blast for zipping around town. As long as they are both strong enough to support me and the riding I do, then I'm happy.

My OX Platinum frame is a custom and I spoke with quite a few local frame builders but my choice was not based on the materials they favored. I knew I wanted steel, so I picked the builder I was happiest with and then we talked
specific alloys.

I don't think there's enough difference, in any given 'quality range' of tube sets offered by the major players, to make it an overriding concern.

I don't know if this helps. Are you thinking of a custom frame?

FWIW here's a link to Henry James' tubing page. It has a chart indicating rider weight relative to tube type in the sets he sells. It's not the most intuitive chart but it's worth looking at.

Jim