View Single Post
Old 04-01-09, 07:14 AM
Bone Head

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for riding in the Tour de Cure. Our TdC is in 2 weeks. I'm not a 'Fundraising Guru' but here are a few things that worked for me:

Originally Posted by downtube42
- Do canned mass emails from the event site work?
I belong to a few organizations / associations. I've asked the editor of the newsletters to endorse and forward my email to the other members. Had some success. Edit the body of the email to make it more personal. Send it from your personal email - less chance of it being screened by spam filters.

- Have people had success going to their superiors at work? How far up the chain?
Depends on your organization.

1) I've printed business cards (using Avery card stock) with website/donation info and passed them out (at appropriate times) during conversations with coworkers, etc. Also printed flyers and left them in the break/lunch room. (email me & I'll send the files for you to modify for your needs.)

2) One of my business clients sponsored me with a "Jeans at Work Day" (casual dress day) for the employees. A $5 donation to wear jeans.

- What percentage of donations come in through the event website (your page)?
About 40 - 50%. The convenience of using credit cards is a big plus. Again, spend some time and make it your page. Your story(why you ride for the ADA) and you picture (riding or with your bike) is a good start.

- There's a fair amount of corporate email requesting community volunteers, blood drives, etc. How do I stand out?

-Are there ways to get support from strangers?
I've set up a folding table with a 'donation jar' and some ADA educational liturature (see your local ADA office) outside a grocery store, W**mart, K**rt, etc (with manager's permission.) I get on my bike (on the trainer) wearing my Tour de Cure rider in training T-shirt, pedal for a few hours and ask for donations. It is a great way to call attention to the cause, raise money, and get in a good workout.

Good Luck with the fundraising and enjoy your ride!!

Last edited by Bone Head; 04-01-09 at 07:18 AM.