View Single Post
Old 01-24-05, 08:10 PM
jimshapiro
Jim Shapiro

Bikes: Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good question. I have been riding most of the 60 years since I learned and although the bicycles have certainly changed, I have made very few changes. I only started using clipless pedals a few years ago, and perhaps for this reason or perhaps because of my late start in life with these contraptions I have had a hell of a time getting used to them. I use either toe clips or pedal straps on all of my (7) bikes, save for my road bicycle, but the clipless pedals still make me rather nervous, especially in any stop-and-go traffic.

I should mention, however, that I rarely take as long rides as the folks on this forum seem to. I ride typically 10 hilly miles daily during the week (at lunch) and take a longer, perhaps 20 to 30 mile ride, on weekends. I still sprint periodically and generally ride close to flat out all the time, so I couldn't possibly ride longer distances.

I expect to be done building my single-speed/fixed gear bicycle this week and I can't imagine doing even my present distances on it. We'll see.

Jim