Old 04-03-09, 11:08 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David13
I first saw this problem both in Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach, etc., 30 - 40 years ago?
The big problem is direction. Beachgoers come out from the land, and walk into, on the bike path in front of the cyclist. Many times from blind approaches. That's why they are hard to avoid. The bicyclist usually has sense not to 'pop' out in front of the car.
Then they may wander up and down the bike path a bit, with their back to the approaching bike.
Turn left, turn right carrying a coffee, or a beer.
I biked early in the morning, with great and utter caution, and particularly on weekends was off the bike by 9 or 10 a.m.
Unless you can segregate the paths, with tickets, with signs, with fences and with a local culture that supports the idea, it doesn't work well.
dc
My complaint is soccer parents (M&F) walking across the MUP in a freaking daze after practice lets out. The little kids are actually on the ball, but these over-stuffed donut-heads will just sleep-walk their fat sasses right in front of a bike moving at 20 mph. Half of them do not even hear you when you shout out a warning.

As they say in certain circles, when it comes to the gen public, it's "Consiousness None!"