Old 04-03-09, 09:53 PM
sjpitts 

Bikes: 90 Bridgestone MB2/3, 97 Lemond Zurich, 97 Waterford 2200, 95 Mondonico Futura Leggero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another bike that does not fit- Nishiki Professional

I picked up another bike that doesn’t fit me. A 63cm Nishiki Professional. At least think it is professional, it is hard to read. The serial number on the bike is KA 14543. I have no idea what year it might be.

The bike is light, but does not have stickers indicating what tubing it might have been. The one downside is that there are a considerable number of rust spots on the frame. Some look pretty bad.

The front derailleur, cranks, and shifters all say campagnolo on them. The hubs say campagnolo record, the front rim is araya, and the rear rim is mavic. The brakes and brake levers are campagnolo.

The stem and bars are both cinelli. The saddle is a s.marco supercorsa. The pedals are shimano PD-M515.

The one thing that does not seem to fit is a rear derailleur - it is a suntour cyclone 7000. The rear is a six speed.

There are several problems with the bike. First, is that the front derailleur does not shift. It was on the small chain ring when I got it, and it shifted to the large, but it won’t shift back. Can anyone tell me how to adjust it? Or at least ID the front derailleur so I can do a search.

The second problem is that “arm” on the rear derailleur hits the spokes when it is moved to the largest chain ring in the back. I looked at it, and it appears as though the “arm” might be bent. Or maybe the whole thing is just not on straight. Any ideas as what to do?

Third question—are those pedals possibly still any good? I have never used clipless pedals, but I am thinking about trying it. If I could get cleats for those pedals I might try it.

Fourth—what should I do about all the rust?

Finally—what might this thing be worth? I paid 20 bucks for it at goodwill. Keep in mind that frame has many large (quarter size) rust spots. I am going to try and get it working ok, and then loan it to my tall friend for use in our upcoming sprint triathlon at the end of May. He was otherwise going to use his wife’s beach cruiser (he is a cheap *****). I figure I will flip it after that, or sell it to him if he likes it. But I want to have an idea what it might be worth before I do that.

Thanks again for helping a newbie

Jared
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0121 (Medium).JPG (80.4 KB, 276 views)
DSC_0123 (Medium).JPG (70.9 KB, 175 views)
DSC_0133 (Medium).JPG (51.3 KB, 138 views)
DSC_0136 (Medium).JPG (52.5 KB, 153 views)
DSC_0145 (Medium).JPG (62.4 KB, 145 views)
DSC_0151 (Medium).jpg (48.1 KB, 125 views)
DSC_0153 (Medium).JPG (50.2 KB, 105 views)
DSC_0124 (Medium).JPG (67.6 KB, 141 views)
DSC_0152 (Medium).JPG (61.5 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by sjpitts; 04-03-09 at 10:09 PM.
Likes For sjpitts: