Old 04-04-09, 09:24 AM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sscyco
Note I own 6 high end bikes - none I can travel with. Here is what I am considering at this point:
1) I have a steel road bike - 2004 specialized Allez steel - Columbus Foco - Thinking about SS couplings - the problem, I've got the bike at 17.5 lbs, may be a bit light for rougher roads and can't ride off road.
2) Dahon Flo - great reveiws, good spec, but not for on road - I can buy another set of tires.
3) Ritchey break away cross - covers everything, but starts getting a bit high on the price after a nice build.
Why not? Aren't all the airlines charging for regular luggage now? A folder with big wheels will surely also be oversized. What's the price difference going to be for flying with one of the breakaway options you mentioned as oversized luggage versus one of your regular bikes in a case/box? Can't be much compared to the overall cost of flying to the opposite side of the world.

Heck, if you're going 7 times per year your best option might be to simply leave a bike there (find a storage locker or something).