Old 04-04-09, 09:28 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crx7
Two lane, short sight distance, fast moving cars, and mountains don't add up to a very safe ride. What do you do if two cars are approaching each other head on at high speed with you in the middle on a turn? You realize they're not gonna hit each other, right? I don't mean to be such a dick by my Uncle that lives in an area like yours, and swerves in to oncoming to avoid you, says he's for sure gonna take the bike out when the choice is ravine on the right and head on car collision on the left. Are there no nice paths, fireroads, or roads with shoulders you could get your exercise on?
You are 100% correct, there are very real risks.

Here is what I do; of the three vehicles, the car from behind, the car approaching from in front and me on the bike, odds are only I know the position of all three and can see all three early. I have a couple different options and they are not for the timid. One, I take my entire lane for a brief spell. Two, my more popular one, I move into my lane briefly, aggressively point up towards the upcoming car, turn my head back and give a very aggressive stop stay back motion to the the car approaching from behind and move back over to the side of the road. That one almost never fails to slow the approaching car from behind. Third, I adjust my position by speed, I either slow way down to change the 3 vehicle intersect point, or shift up and stand and sprint momentarily to do the same. My last option, I look for where I might bail off the road if necessary, ya, I really do consider that.

This is not something that I take lightly. Years ago I rode 200 + miles a week in these mountains when I raced and in doing that you develop a keen sense of survival skills. Also, I don't cruise in the blind areas, they are like interval training to me, I shift up, and move very quickly through blind turns. This does two things, one, you are in the blind turn for a shorter time and two, the closing speed of the vehicle from behind is reduced and the driver has and extra split second or so to see you and react.

All this being said, if you are going to ride in this part of the world, the risks of these roads comes with the ride.