View Single Post
Old 04-05-09, 09:57 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
CBR Dominguez Hills Crit
Sun, 4/5/09, First race: 30+/3-4's; second: Cat 3.
Industrial park crit. 4-Corners, 0.9mi per lap. S/F is on slight (1%) incline between turns #1 & #4. A roller before turn #3 and another roller before turn #4. Good head-wind. Not a hard course.
Result: Pack finish both races. But, performance in race was much better than yesterday

In the 30+/3-4 race, I was very active. I attempted to get into 4-different breaks. None of them stuck, but just having the strength to go was excellent! The first two, I accelerated out of the field, trying to latch on to another break that had gotten ~3-5 secs on us. I managed to bridge up to both. However, when I looked back, the whole field was on my wheel. Strung out, yes but still on my wheel. The third attempt, I had gotten wiser: I accelerated from about 10-spots back on a downhill section, using my weight to get up to a nice speed so no one could respond, and no one did. Off to the right, I noticed another rider doing the same thing, so he & I paired up. Or rather, he followed my wheel. After half-lap, I was getting to the break, but losing my power. There was no way I could keep it up. I pull over, motion for the guy to come through...he doesn't. I do this a couple times. Finally, after another 1/2-lap, he pulls through, just as the pack swarms us. The last break attempt was sort of a surge going up the hill. I went with 2-other guys, bridging up to 4 others. We get there, and I shout out, "Get organized, we have a nice gap!" With 7 of us, we stand a real chance of staying away, but we needed to drill it. They never organized. Pack saw the danger and had us after another 1/2-lap. For the finish, I concentrated on keeping good position, but in the end, didn't get it. I rolled across the line, very happy and content.

The cat 3 race I wasn't sure what to expect due to my endeavors 2-hours earlier. So, my goal was to just stay with the field as long as possible. I was feeling good and the pace was not killer. So, I concentrated on maneuvering around and staying near the front. Did well on both counts. Wasn't able to push for the finish, though, and sprinted home in like 30-40th or so.

All in all, very happy.

Anybody else race this weekend?