View Single Post
Old 04-13-09, 08:49 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by richkab
I can't believe all the responses. Well I contacted Bike Friday and spoke with Ruthy. She was very helpful and sent me an email with the model I would need. Apparently I am beyond the Tikit. I was recommended the Pocket Llama. I am going to fill out the form and call again tomorrow. I should probably check out the clydesdale place also but so many of you have already made up my mind with Friday. Good point about extra weight. I usually carry my backpack which can be 10 or 15 and a little pack with spare tubes and stuff. I guess now I have to Google dynamo hub. Does it ever end? Just when you think you got it all covered there's fenders lights helmets.....
Anyway thanks to you all.

P.s. It does take 5 or 6 weeks for it to be built.
Curious. What was the reasoning -- perhaps Vik would know too -- for the Llama? My understanding is that either the NWT or Llama can be built for "beef". Do you ride off road where the higher bottom bracket is important?

My experience with the NWT is that it rides pretty well with a front load. Essentially it slows the steering down while not adding weight to the rear wheel which generally supports most of the rider's weight. The bad thing is that it blocks your view of the wheel and what you are riding over at the very last second. Consequently, IMO, lighting is more important with a front load. If you have not done so already, you might want to contact the NYC Bike Friday club for more opinions and perhaps an opportunity to test out the front rack.

Oh ... after a while, carrying stuff on your back is a real chore. Putting it on the bike is much more comfortable and leads to better handling too.

I don't use a dynamo hub since my night riding is in a well lit urban area where a battery powered LED light is more than satisfactory ... and I have two of them. Although if I were buying a dedicated commuter or rebuilding the wheel on my present commuter, I would get a dynamo hub after seeing a friends with a new super bright LED setup. "Unfortunately" I do the hub maintenance religiously so I expect the front hub to last a long time.

You might have found this through a google search, but if not, Peter White is probably the best resource on the topic.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm