View Single Post
Old 01-28-05, 05:54 PM
FLyBOy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BMXTRIX
Alloy pedals are aluminum not chromoly. Almost all pedals have a chromoly spindle, whether they are plastic, resin, or one of the metals. Nylon pedals are also almost indestructable if you don't grind and land on them, but they aren't as grippy.

Anyway, the price on the Redline cranks isn't bad, but Redline has had a serious quality control issue and customer service issues for several years now. They have gone from one of the best companies, to one that really isn't up to par with the competitors.

Now, for 80 bucks, it may be worth it to take that chance if you really need 3-piece cranks. But, going with Profile or Odyssey is a much better option if you are willing to save up for it.

Remember: If you have 1-piece cranks, your pedals will NOT work on 3-piece cranks.

I will never recommend aluminum for cranks as you don't see any weight savings with them almost ever, and they have the same problems that is inherent to aluminum with stress, breaking, and most of all, stripping out. Tubular chromoly is the only way to go, and Profile and Odyssey are leaders in quality and service.
Ok, thanks for telling me about the alloy thing. And yes I completly agree with you on the cromoly thing, I just don't trust aluminum. And I think that the Monster cranks will do good for me for at least a few years, and then if I need new ones I'll get them.