Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Skeletons...

When I was a kid we always rode our bikes to school and on most spring and summer days and it alwaysseemed as if there were as many rack spaces as there were students.

I have been dismayed to pass by so many schools to see that the bike racks are all but empty and looking rather skeletal and in other cases, some schools seem to have removed a lot of their bike racks.

I guess that more and more people are driving their kids to school which makes the school area a fairly risky area for younger riders and this is just a vicious circle... folks might want to take their kids to school by bike but don't feel safe because of all the cars so they drive, which adds to the congestion.

Because it serves noting to piss and moan about things my girls and I took our first ride to school today and saw that we filled a few spaces in the racks and what was probably notable was that we rode 40 city blocks to get there.

It did not take much longer to ride by bike than it does to take the bus and the girls were pretty energized after their 3 mile bike ride... they are at an age (9 and 11) where they can handle themselves and their bikes really well and in many cases, we take the lane as they can also maintain a pretty good speed.

I think I will talk to the school and see if they can promote and even stage a ride to school day and I'll offer free tune ups for anyone who needs them.

I'd like to see those racks get filled up.