Old 01-29-05, 10:33 AM
AusTai

Bikes: Marin Verona road bike, Cannondale F300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
You asked the benefit. Pure strength. It is stronger than most cheap frames. What more do you want. A whole essay on the design and welds of frames and their purpose compared to what?...For the price point the hardrock is built stronger than MOST in that pricepoint.
I haven't kept up with the market in a while but I was under the impression that all bikes are pretty built strong, strong enough for just about anyone, since companies don't want to be replacing frames all the time. What you get with more expensive frames is the strength AND light weight, i.e. extra butting and shaping to remove weight where it's not needed. So saying a frame is more strong than another doesn't mean much unless Specialized's competition's frames are always breaking.

Personally, it reads like you are just looking for things wrong with specialized, not looking for answers. And really, look around a touch closer. Most companies have comparible frames with that type of weld, it is NOT a 'specialized' thing. Norco, Kona etc...
Actually, I'm looking for things right with Specialized frames but I'm frustrated by the vague answers so far, which isn't yours or anyone's fault really since Specialized hasn't done a gone job on their web site explaining why their frames are special, beyond the looks. I actually like the different look of their frames but the left brain in me wants to be sure I'm not buying into marketing only.