unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos to the City of Renton

I've been commuting in and through Renton for a number of years, but only since October have I been commuting on my present route, which takes me through more of downtown and up past Coulon park. On this commute, I've had a number of lights that don't detect me and one, at Park and Garden (I'm on Garden crossing Park) where the green cycle is so short that the cross-traffic gets a green when I'm only halfway across the intersection. There have been times when I've had to dodge traffic coming down Park because they didn't realize that I was still in the intersection (how they can miss a big, fat guy on a recumbent lit up like a Christmas tree is another matter entirely) and started through on their green.

Well, after another close call on Wednesday, I decided to do something I've never done before. I looked up the contact information for the City of Renton transportation guys and sent them an e-mail explaining my problems. Much to my astonishment, I got a return e-mail on Thursday letting me know that they had adjusted the timing of the light at Garden and Park, and asking for a little more information about the lights I'm where not being detected. I gave the information they requested and {WOW!!} this morning I was being detected at those intersections and was able to get through the light at Park & Garden without risking my life!! Woot!

So a big Thank You and Good Job to Bob Cavanaugh and David Whitmarsh of the City of Renton! I've never had such responsive service from any government agency .