View Single Post
Old 04-18-09, 10:44 AM
EmmCeeBee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisH120
I've looked at Ocean City and the Assateague park looks fantastic for a night of camping. At the moment I'm thinking of cycling down to DC from Baltimore, spending a day there, then heading out to Ocean City on the greyhound before somehow working out a route to get us back to the Transam either at Yorktown or from somewhere else further along. Any suggestions on a route from Assateague park to the Transam?
Take a look at the ACA Tidewater Potomac route. They put you on a ferry across Chesapeake Bay to the Kilmarnock area. Looking at google maps, there are a few ferries in the Tangier Sound area that would get you back to the "mainland". I think these are mostly private passenger ferries, and they might only run in the summer.

I've never cycled there, so this isn't first-hand knowledge. But there's nothing like a good ferry ride to round out a cycling tour.

Last summer, I was curious about riding along the Tidewater route from DC to the Yorktown area. So I did some research... If you ended up in the Kilmarnock area, you'd have two main river crossings (the Rappahannock, and the York) to get to Yorktown. They don't have many options, and the bridges aren't bicycle-friendly. That -- plus the extra time -- made me stick to the Atlantic Coast route. But if we'd had the time, a week in Assateague would've been heaven.

Jamawani's posted about this area before, if I remember, and he suggests good ferry routes, above. He's your best resource... I'd catch his attention somehow

-- Mark

Last edited by EmmCeeBee; 04-18-09 at 10:47 AM.