View Single Post
Old 04-19-09, 08:56 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To suspend or not to suspend...

About a month ago, I pulled the trigger on a Drone. Currently stock except for Ruffian Lock-ons and Easton Flatboys. So much more fun than the old 26" DJ. The only thing I'm finding that I miss is that little bit of suspension that smooths out my landings, because God knows I'm definitely not the smoothest jumper. So, the dilemma...put something like this on there? The pro is obvious...I get suspension. The cons are weight, the fact that I'd need to buy a 20mm through-axle hub, and I'd either need to pick up a front BB5 or go rear brake only (and the stock rear brake sucks). Factors I don't think will make much of a difference is loss of responsiveness (it's an 80mm DJ fork, so I'd be very surprised if it wrecks that) and added stiffness from the through-axle (I'm not noticing any axle flex with the current axle). Thoughts? Suspension is great? Suck it up and learn to love the rigid? Give it a season and decide then (though that risks that a 2005 NOS fork disappears off eBay)?