Old 04-22-09, 06:52 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Cyclesafe, your comments are interesting. It's commendable that you are sensitive to not being intrusive, but sad that you find it a burden. Why not just treat them the same way you treat guys? That would probably be more normal for everyone concerned. My $0.02, FWIW, YMMV, etc. etc.
Because a guy isn't thinking that there could be an ulterior motive. And I don't have to continually analyze and perhaps filter my speech / behavior to allay suspicion. A misinterpretation of a situation such as bumping into the woman in the dark going to and fro the toilet could result in an accusation of peeping or stalking, arrest by the ranger or county mountie, and ultimately jail, trial, and incarceration. And then you're on some sexual predator list for life. Wife divorces you, house gets sold, she gets all your money. Etc. etc.

Or if that is too extreme for you, at a minimum there would be deep heartfelt life-lasting nightmare- inducing humiliation. I mean, really, how would you be able to talk you way out of that one? All for what? A conversation? Just not worth it. Admittedly, the probability is low, but the consequences of a false accusation would be life-changing.

Sure, women want to be treated "just like one of the guys" and it would be "normal" for them. But if the guy says or does something stupid with intent as innocent as the driven snow or is simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, and a woman choses to misinterpret it, the full force of law is on his head. A guy making such an accusation would be laughed at - a woman (rightly so) is taken seriously.

Yes, its sad. But I'm afraid that this double standard will be with us for my lifetime at least. YMMV etc.