View Single Post
Old 04-23-09, 03:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7338 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,423 Posts
A few years ago, I bought three mountain bikes at the local police auction. Of course, they all came with knobby tires. I don't ride off road, and since they made a lot of noise, I figured they weren't doing much good. I got some slicks and inflated them hard, and yes, big difference. My wife isn't a serious cyclist, and she's very light and not very strong, but I decided to get some nice tires for her. I'll never forget what happened. I put them on her bike. Then we drove out to a nice remote area to start our ride. I said, "I'm not sure you'll notice the difference, but let me know."

She rode about 40 feet and said, "I notice the difference!"

Best upgrade for a bike. You really don't need knobs unless you ride in very loose stuff. I think a mountain bike with upgraded tires is a wonderful all-purpose bike. You can do just about anything on it.

I inflate mine to about 80 or 90 psi. I'm about 186 pounds. (I'm a guest here in the Clydesdale section.) I inflate my wife's to about 70. She's only about 125 pounds.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.