MnHillBilly
Joyously Phred

Bikes: Raleigh Passage 3.0, Giant Halfway 2007 folding, Trek Lime Easy-Step

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Witnessed pure insanity - need confirmation

We had extremely high winds here today, so I was off my bike and in my car on the way home today. In the lane next to me was a roadie in full kit, even a nice sleeveless Colorado state flag jersey. I was impressed at this person's resolve to bike despite the winds at 35 mph.

No sooner than I had that thought, I watched this person do the following as we both approached an intersection:

We had the green light. I continued forward. The roadie went forward and then STOPPED abruptly in the dead center of the intersection, turns the bike, and plants themselves in FRONT of the lane of waiting traffic in the opposite direction currently under the red light. Positions themselves as though they're now the head of the line waiting for the light to change going the other way.

And to be clear - there were 2 lanes and a 3rd turn lane. This person put themselves in front of the car waiting at the middle lane. They weren't beside or next to a car, they were dead center in front.

What would you do if you were the head car waiting at the light? Would it be any different if a motorcycle or sedan passing by on a green light just suddenly skidded their tires and did a 180 and parked in front of you if they realized they needed to cross?

Are there cyclists out there who do this routinely and I'm just not used to seeing it, or was this truly as nutty a thing for them to do as it appeared????