Old 04-24-09, 05:28 AM
joshsc

Bikes: '09 Roubaix Elite Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
DiNotte 800L/400R combo. Love it!

BF newb here. Recently picked up an '09 Roubaix, and needed some light for it seeing as how 95% of my riding is done at either 2000-2200 or 0200-0400. After a ton of reading here and at roadbikereview I finally decided to go with DiNotte. The stuff they make is ridiculously expensive, but when it comes to buying things I'm a huge advocate of "buy once cry once."

I placed the order on Monday around 2200 and selected USPS Express for free. Had them lights in hand Wednsday morning. Could've had them Tuesday morning, but my local PO is slow. Had both 4-cell batteries charged within 4 hours(2 each), and hit the road around 0930 Wed night for their first test ride.

800L first impression: ridiculous. My car's headlights aren't nearly as bright, or white, as the 800L. Very simple to operate, and really like how you just have to hit the left button at any time to go to full bright. I dimmed them several times for oncoming traffic because the light is a bit much, and I didn't want to blind people. Had a cop crossing an intersection about 150 yards ahead of me stop dead in the middle(no other traffic, 4-way stop) for about 5-10 seconds as I was approaching when I had them on bright. I can only assume it was to figure out why there was a moving headlight so damn bright about 6 inches from the curb. The strobe functions are completely disorienting at night. A 20mph disco is no good.

400R taillight is hilarious on full bright. I want to have my wife ride my bike one night as I drive up behind her just so I can see what it's like. To say cars give you a ton of extra space with this thing on is an understatement. I turned my head more than a few times just to see stuff lit up red behind me. Didn't try out the strobe function on the 22mile test ride, but might tonight.

Overall impressions: Well worth the price. Very high quality lights that put out insane amounts of light for a bike. Felt totally comfortable at 20mph+ on roads with zero street lights/house lights/etc. Wish they weren't so expensive, but definitely don't regret my purchase. Will probably get some cheaper DiNotte's for my wifes bike.

Crappy pics. Can't use my D80 at night to save my life.