CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Thanks, I try.

Yep, I'm good with a hacksaw, plus the edge of the stem is a decent guide itself. (what?? you're worried about scratching the stem with it??, who cares, half the stems I dig out of the co-op bins look like crap already.)
Metal shavings never hurt anyone, just go over with the shop vac after if you really want to make sure its clean. If you get one stuck in your pads, pick it out when you hear the brakes screech.

A little bit of burring on the edge of the cut is at most going to scratch the inside of the stem. This hardly 'destroys' it. Unless its carbon, but those are ridiculous.

There's the good ol' lean as with much weight as possible on the handlebars, then tighten the pinch bolts on the stem.
Alternatly, grab a set from the junk drawer, us it to pretension, then either leave it in or put it back.

I'm thinking that the main source of objection here is that you ride nice expensive bikes that you like to keep pristine and 'professionally' worked on. I don't, mine are beaters made from parts scavenged from other beaters.
Anyway I don't blame you for pushing that attitude, you have to, its how you make a living as a mechanic.
My brother has this exact attitude towards pretty much everything. He's always showing up on my doorstep wanting me to repair stuff he's 'fixed', more often than not what would have been a quick and easy job had he done it right turns out to be a writeoff or a major repair in addition to the original job.