Old 04-27-09, 11:57 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude
this was a RR. my NP for a 32 minute crit yesterday was 250 (AP 236, VI 1.06). maybe it's right, but I'd love to check. I can't see anywhere on the poweragent software to calibrate anything other than turning on auto zero-ing of the hub. Can anyone give me specifics on finding out if I got super weak?
Like umd said, stomp test.

Technically, the PowerTap cannot be user-calibrated, but its accuracy can be checked using a simple test that is similar to the SRM calibration check. First, check that the transmission icon is on, and if not, give the rear wheel a spin. Then, enter the torque mode by holding the “Select” button down for 2 seconds or longer (the “WATTS” designation will disappear from the top line.) Apply the rear brake sufficiently to lock up the rear wheel. Now, measure torque as follows: with the cranks exactly horizontal (right crank at 3 o’clock), hang a known weight of at least 50 lbs from the right crank, or simply stand on it – hence the name ‘stomp test’! Measured torque = (weight in lbs) × (crank length in mm) × (1 in/25.4 mm) × (cog teeth/chainring teeth). For a 159 lb rider standing on a 175 mm crank, with the chain on the 39 tooth ring and the 23 tooth cog, 159 lbs × 175 mm × 1 in/25.4 mm × 23/39 = 646 in-lbs. Compare this to the displayed value by calculating % error as (measured torque - displayed torque)/measured torque.