View Single Post
Old 04-28-09, 03:50 PM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, I will try and work my way through the recent questions.

1. the cover: this weighs 250g and the pouch weighs 70g. The material is heavier than the red cover I use for my Dahon and is better made, stitched and easier to use. The carry pouch is designed to fit onto the back of the saddle. The only thing you need to be aware of is that you need to swing the pouch back out of the way while lowering the saddle.

2. Saddle: I have not done any long rides yet so I can’t vouch for extended comfort, but so far I have found it to be very comfortable. I don’t need to fit a Brooks saddle, but I’d like one for the looks and to see what all the fuss is about. I would need to go for a titanium version as there is no way that I would want to add any extra weight to my bike.

3. Cockpit: both the Brompton S-Type and Dahon MU SL share similar dimensions. I had the MU SL handle bars set low and forward. The MU SL is about an inch longer between saddle – handlebars than the non-adjustable bars of the S-type.

4. The other difference in regards to controls is the gear shifters. The Brompton 2-speed shifter (fitted to the left –hand bars) is a simple affair, a little slow at first but you soon get used to it. The shifters on the Dahon are much nicer and quicker to use and you can rapidly change through the 9 gears.

5. Weight comparison: I weighed both bikes the other week and they were both very close to each other at just over 9Kg.

6. Folded size: reading cold figures does not really help, you need to see both bikes together to appreciate the difference. The folded Dahon is considerably larger in both length and width than the Brompton. I kind of feel different towards folding each bike.... with the Dahon it is a case of folding it to make it smaller, but it is still an awkward shape and I don’t fold it unless I really have to. With the Brompton, it is different... I don’t know if it is the gadget aspect, the compact fold or the sheer beauty of the engineering, but I just love folding up the Brompton.

My experience: it is just over 18 months since I bought my first folder. In this time I have owned a cheap, heavy Chinese Titan Folder bought for £125. Two Dahon MU SL’s (2008) and now the Brompton. I have also test ridden “S” & “M” type Bromptons (I don’t like the “M” bars), a Birdy Speed, Airnimal Joey, a Moulton/Pashley TSR 30. So I would say that I now have some experience of various folders. I would like either a Airnimal Rhino or a Bike Friday Llama next for riding off road trails.

Last edited by PDR; 04-28-09 at 04:11 PM.