View Single Post
Old 04-29-09, 06:53 AM
chuckygetlucky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by breadbin
hiya chucky, i have 36h sun mammoth rims on a deore hub front and steel singlespeed hub on the back and no problems as yet. if you look at the dirt jumping on mtbs you might get some idea cos them guys throw their bikes around. not weight weenies if you know what i mean. the sun mammoth are discontinued but i got them in an online bike shop over here in ireland on discount. i built them up myself following sheldon browns wheel building page. all in all it cost me in euro, 30 for 2 rims, 20 for 2 hubs, 20 for 72 spokes and it took me maybe 2 hours to make them and it was best fun i had in ages seriously. felt great after i had made them myself. i'd recommend it to anyone.

you probably don't need 48h, granted i am not 400lbs but 36 should be fine for you, alot of people here mention that they are quite happy with them.
This was my last resort to buy the parts and build myself. I heard a 36 hand built can be really strong. So i might go this route if nothing comes up. However a LBS said they can get me a 48h wheel with a sun rhyno lite rim for about 150 160 range i think this sounds interesting and in my price range. Any thoughts on the rhyno lite rim???