AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrteeth
Yeah, but that's exactly it: "on a good day". Unlike nonutilitarian riders your true average speed includes the bad days, not just the good ones...and you probably use a circuitous route (ie how far is your commute as the crow flies and what is your average speed to traverse that distance?) compared to a nonutilitarian rider whose average speed can be taken at face value because he's not going from point A to point B.

Also, like you said your commute is undulating. Roadies go on and on about how this or that bike performs "on the flats", but are flats even worth considering for utility riding? Commuters in hilly areas talk about using a wiggle route to avoid the hills and then there's the potholes and the traffic, etc, etc. At what point does all this warrant a different kind of bike (ie a faster bike for slower routes)? Or is a fast road bike always the fastest on the road no matter how poor the road surface, no matter how much traffic, etc, etc?

A lot of people say that having a bike 5 pounds lighter doesn't make a big difference and that may be true on the open road to nowhere, but in my experience a 5 pound lighter bike is at least twice as fast in stop and go urban riding. That's one example, but what other "horses for courses" scenarios are there for utility riding? For example, does anyone think a better climber is more important for utility riding since it can enable you to shorten some of those wiggles?
well, I also ride a rigid 29er that can take panniers etc.
if its set up with a rear rack, and panniers, its pretty darn fast, especially being that it rolls over rough surfaces really well, and it has a ton of gear.

actually, a 29er with 2.0 tyres 44x11t is about the same as a road bike 700c 53x12t
(in nominal measure)

there are so many variables to this thread
city commuting/utility, or urban, etc...

as an extreme example
if you take for instance the old Concorde Jet, traveling at supersonic speeds
compared to the now typical air busses

or perhaps our military
for instance I was part of the 7th I.D. and we were a deployable light force, anywhere in the world wheels down in 24hrs
as compared to the scenario of Desert Storm, where i think it took about 6 months to get a heavy mechanized fighting force in position.

what am i saying?
Light & Fast
vs
Long low and slow?

if i remember correctly
the Concorde eventually went broke for various reasons ($)

often times i equate $ to = time and resource allocation

utility, depends on "the job" a person needs to get done.

from personal experience, if i can make 1 big trip, that is usually better
as compared to making 2 or 3.