View Single Post
Old 07-03-02, 12:16 AM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the above, and not one word about wearing helmets. Oh, well...I wouldn't be writing at all without one. I ran instead of biked yesterday, and reminded a family about helmets. Their girls were out riding while the parents carried the helmets.

What does this have to do with this string? Well, when worst comes to worst, and the pavement looms, it would be nice to wear one. My experience shows that even if people are fairly good drivers, there is still the chance of causing a car/bike accident due to unforseen circumstances. We can talk about responsible behavior, but when I see a bicyclist without a helmet, I know he or she is literally taking his or her life in his or her hands (how's that for being PC?).

Concerning being cut off in a lane, it happens all the time. One time I actually left the bicycle lane to walk up on the grass, approach the jeep which had stopped in the lane for a red light, and asked them politely what they were doing. The driver had the odacity (sp?) to say that I could leave the road at will. With these guys (and gals) on the road, helmets are a must.

Just a little thing to think about.

John