Old 05-06-09, 05:23 PM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
ERROR: according to one section of the xtracycle website, the radish has an aluminium frame. However, in email contact with them, george told me (with apologies) that this is an error, and the radish has a STEEL frame. Just so no one is mislead by this thread (tho' they still might be mislead by the xtracycle website.....)

Currently the radish is in the lead, anyone have one and like to comment? How is it for riding over longer distances (say, 10-15 miles one way, up and down hills). My last bike (the sirrus) was pretty sporty and fast, i've never ridden a more comfortable bike (the radish looks like a beach cruiser) so am wondering how they ride. I am thinking more relaxed and comfortable might be a GOOD thing, I am less inclined to speed everywhere nowadays.

the radish is still a little expensive, (remember i wasn't planning on buying a new bike, just a freeradical, until i realised the crack in my sirrus frame was fatal), a second cheaper option is to buy a kind of city-commuter bike available here in japan (where i live) for $200 (think dutch shopping bike whieels with a mountainbikish frame and gears, and a steel frame, yay!), and attach the freeradical to that. Might need to change the back brake to a v-brake (its cantilever right now, but the freerad doesnt fit cantilevers i think). Can anyone comment on the comparison between 26" balloon tires (radish) and 700cc shopping bike tires? I'm interested because my 700cc sirrus tires are pretty unforgiving on all the curbs i go up and down.

that's quite a lot isn't it? I don't have that much experience with bikes and i am trying to make a good choice and use my cash wisely (new baby eating the budget - but I want to carry him on a bike so i dont have to drive everywhere, this is how i got started on this whole xtracycle thing).
thanks for reading!