MnHillBilly
Joyously Phred

Bikes: Raleigh Passage 3.0, Giant Halfway 2007 folding, Trek Lime Easy-Step

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotte
Thanks for that. The one I was interested is gone, now, but there's another, a halfway 6 RD, for £199. It seems to have a different frame, though - more like a Dahon speed 7. Anyone know if this is older or newer?

Also, what weight is the halfway? MNHillbilly, you mention it's the heavier end. Are we talking high twenties, or low thirties?

Oh, the other thing, I'm looking at it for light touring duties - maybe week trips, about 200-250 miles, mainly on the flat - cylclepaths and roads. Is it more a commuter ride, or do you think it would be okay for 30 - 40 miles a day?

Also, the only other concern is the non-standard nature of the hubs. I read somewhere that someone had a look at one and couldn't see how the wheels came off with any ease - no quick release. How do the wheels atatch, and is it just a matter of unbolting them? I'm imagining the axle must have to be oversized and pretty well atatched to take the strain on it's single joint.

Many thanks.

It's about 35 lbs. weight.

It is a bit more of a commuter ride - if I were going to do a tour with it, I'd have to switch out the stock saddle, but the tires and the feel of the frame don't have any appreciable difference for me from my full-size bikes.

And no, the hubs aren't quick-release, but there are few folders I know of that are true quick-release. The genius of the single-fork is that you don't actually HAVE to remove the wheel to change tubes, it's just a matter of unclasping the brake pad and laying the frame down on the fork side to work, and voila.

I found a link to someone else's review of their Giant that might be helpful - http://stanford.wellsphere.com/bikin...halfway/517821