Old 05-10-09, 08:06 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey KEWL!

I agree on all arguments. I can see the dangers.

I got home where I had tools. (I was outta town this weekend) I was able to do a 32/15 combo which will be quite a grunt on my NL trail network, but a real hoot on one in Lawrence. I was hoping the Half link would give me the ability to do a 32/16 or 32/17, but it was a no go. I'm gonna try to find a tensioner for next to nothing, and a rigid 29'er fork. I think I'll have to go with the Voodoo fork b/c they have a 470mm A2C and adjustable brake bosses for my rim brakes.

Ditching all that crap dropped her down to a scant 23lbs 11oz. (scant for me, hehehe)

On a side note...this TT is sorta short for me, so I ordered a $12 EA50 90mmx6' for $7 after my $5 Jenson gift card. Should be about right since I went back to a 70mm Thomson on the Komodo.

Funny though...after I get the stem, I will have approx $25 in the bike and $50 in the tires.

If you look at my ride...my saddle is a couple inches higher than the bars... That's old SKOOL geo, man. I'm gonna raise her up a bit. If I can find the right fork, it will bring the front end of my bike up about 55mm + I'm gonna do a Tank Hit headset for an extra 8-10mm. I should be able to take a few headset spacers out from under there. The new stem is a 6 degree rise too, so that should give me another 6-8mm of rise. All said and done, it should be fairly close to where my other'n is. Still no comparison though.

The bike was originally spec'd with a Manitou SX 80mm fork with a 410'ish A2C, so it's a little short and twitchy right now with the Mag. I know I'm pushing the limits of HT stress going with a 470'ish A2C, but that should put the old steep HT/ST angles where I like them. Another option is going with something like an Instigator fork with a 447mm A2C, but I'm not sure that it'll bring it up to where I want it. The Salsa Cromoto would be nice, but I'm not spending $120 on a fork. The Voodoo would be about $60. It's tough enough putting that kind of money into the POS>

Last edited by ed; 05-10-09 at 08:25 PM.