View Single Post
Old 05-11-09, 01:08 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Martha's Second tour

After a sucessful first tour with Martha (Mrs. neilfein), we're going for our second one. We did the 2-day Greenway tour, now it's time for a tour with camping. We're going on Memorial Day weekend, in 2 weeks.

We'll take the train to Red Bank, and ride to Cheesequake park, where we'll camp. We'll ride home the following day, to Highland Park. Here's the draft route:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...our-2009289894 (2 days, 35 miles)

We own two tents: A hevy 4-person tent for car camping, and a lighter 2-person tent I take on tour. Even though it'll be cramped, we'll bring the lighter one. Martha's camped several times, and she went on a tour that's longer than this one will be. What's gonna be new to her are the hills (not all that many) and combining camping with touring. Distance riding isn't her thing at this point, hence the super-short days.

Does anyone have thoughts on my plan, or ideas to make it smoother? I'm trying to keep this unintimidating and fun.

Edit: The Historian will recognize much of this route - we rode a version of this for our first tour, and got lost in Cheesequake. I learned from experience, and we'll approach the park from the east, where there are gravel trails leading to the camping area.

My bands:

Last edited by neilfein; 05-13-09 at 07:46 AM. Reason: See text. Also added the poll.