View Single Post
Old 02-05-05, 11:51 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
allgoo19,isn't it: Light Strong, Cheap. Pick two? The deal about the low spoke wheels is to use a stronger rim, that is where most of a wheels strength comes from. Then when you use fewer spokes, you get less wind resistance. It is all about tradeoffs. I like a traditional wheel 32threecross. They hold up forever, you can make one light, and if you do break a spoke it can be fixed any where without any special tools. I will and have built up every kind of cross pattern, twisty spoke wheels(surprisingly a good very stiff wheel) bladed, radial, crows foot. and you do not get much out of the funky patterns. A radial wheel only weighs a couple of grams less than a three cross. It has a little better air flow and is a little stronger if not under a torque load (OK for front, bad for rear) but is pretty hard on the hub. Some makers will not cover their hubs if they have been radial laced. I have a front wheel for my fixed that is more or less conventional, OK, it is two cross/twisty spoke. It weighs less than a LEW carbon at a bout 1/4 the cost. It has also held up better than the LEWs that I have worked with. Nothing against them, they probably have less inertia due to the very light rim and also have a brake surface which my wheel lacks (Track tubular rim)
As to the light/cheap/strong, I can build a 720 gram rear wheel, with traditional build, that would be a great race wheel and could probably stand daily riding(For real daily riding it would end up around 800 grams, heavier spokes, brass nipples) with a rider under 170 but it would also be around $340, just for the rear. I could also build a good, solid, every day rear wheel, under 1000 grams, for less than $150. It just depends on the priorities, Thanks, Chuck

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.